Although transnational tobacco companies operate in most countries, their strategies and tactics differ in each country and are influenced by a variety of factors including the types of tobacco companies already present in a country, the target markets, and the tobacco control policies in place.
Profiles for each country and region include the following information:
- Current market shares of tobacco companies
- Corporate structure of ownership related to parent and local subsidiary companies
- Types and quantity of tobacco products sold
- Plans for and trends in tobacco product launches
- Tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship including so-called "corporate social responsibility" sponsorships and activities
- Tobacco company efforts to undermine tobacco control policies